The Emperor of Seville is the second book in Matthew Carr's Bernardo de Mendoza Mysteries. The series features Spanish magistrate Bernardo de Mendoza as the investigator of crime in 16th century Spain. The crime in this installment of the series is the trade of Peruvian gold to Spain.
The publisher's summary:
Summer 1586. When the Genoese banker Sandro Grandoni is murdered at a trade fair in the Castilian town of Medina del Campo, the Valladolid Chancery appoints the magistrate Bernardo de Mendoza to conduct the investigation. The murder takes place at a delicate political moment. King Philip II is preparing to invade England, and the Crown is negotiating a new loan with the House of Grandoni to help finance the invasion. While the king and his ministers await the arrival of the imperial treasure fleet in Seville, one of Grandoni’s partners is murdered on the banks of the Guadalquivir. Anxious to eliminate any obstacles to the ‘enterprise of England’, Philip sends Mendoza to Seville to see if the murders are connected.
Accompanied by his restless ward Gabriel, and a charismatic poet named Miguel de Cervantes, Mendoza travels to the violent, vice-ridden imperial city that sixteenth century Spaniards called ‘the Great Babylon.’ Mendoza soon finds himself entangled a bewildering web of intrigue and corruption, that extends from the Indies to the Seville streets. In an unfamiliar city where no one can be trusted, Mendoza is forced to seek the assistance of his turbulent cousin, Luis de Ventura. Mendoza’s task is further complicated, when his lover Elena unexpectedly arrives in the city with an Italian theatre group.
Throughout the sweltering Andalusian summer, Mendoza follows the trail of deaths, as the search for justice becomes a struggle for survival, in which no one’s life is guaranteed.
The book is an excellent murder mystery. I unfortunately didn't understand the many Spanish words that the author used. Initially I looked them up in a dictionary but got tired of that after awhile. I had to re-read some pages as I kept becoming bogged down in all the titles of the characters as well as all the different locations in Spain. It was difficult to remember who was who. While I missed all the setting descriptions, there was still a good mystery that carried the novel for me.
That said, I enjoyed reading about how banks in the 16th century conducted business. It was interesting to learn about kings being bankrupt and needing loans to conduct war against their enemies. It was odd, though, how little it took for a nation to feel aggrieved against another nation. The kings and queens mostly did not use diplomacy but went straight to war threats.
The investigation that Mendoza conducted into the murders was spot on. Mendoza is an astute man who makes for an amazing investigator or judge as his title was in the story. He is a great sleuth for the series.
While I selected this book for it's setting and era, I was unprepared for reading about it. Please note that I received a free copy of this book from Librarything's Early Reviewer's Club in exchange for an honest review. It was published on December 11, 2025.
3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment