Saturday, October 3, 2026

Taipei Story

I have been anxiously awaiting the publication of this book. It was finally released on September 8, 2026. It is a coming-of-age novel that takes place in Taipei during the summer.

Synopsis 

College freshman Lily Chen is off to spend the summer in Taipei at an intensive language program like so many Chinese American students before her, hoping to connect with the culture she inherited but never fully understood. But a promising start quickly unravels. Her classes are grueling, her roommate is driving her insane, and a reckless trip to the hot springs with a guy she barely knows soon has her classmates viciously gossiping. She feels adrift, a foreigner in a country she thought would feel like home.

Then shocking news arrives: Lily’s grandfather has passed away. The loss forces her to grapple with now-unanswerable questions about her family history. As Lily grieves, she’s drawn into a journey of self-discovery—piecing together memories, stories, and silences over a series of hilarious and devastating attempts at connection.

Taipei Story asks: What if the diaspora fantasy of homecoming never comes true? What if learning a language can’t bring you any closer to the people you’re trying to reach? What if you search for your family’s history, but your family doesn’t want to share? What if you wait too long to ask the right questions? As Lily struggles for answers, her summer becomes a poignant search for understanding—of herself, her family, and the meaning of home.

My Thoughts

I loved this novel but note that it reads like a travelogue. Many people might not be interested in this type of novel. I gained alot of knowledge about the best food experiences, the number of steps to a famous statue and what the malls offer for shoppers. There is even a six story book shop that is open 24/7. This information willl be helpful to me for an upcoming visit to Taiwan.

Lily expected to feel at home upon her arrival in Taipei. She believed that she was more Chinese than American. I was perplexed by this because she grew up in America. Lily is culturally American. She was used to knowing all the Chinese people who lived in her area and was confused when she waved at the Chinese in Taipei and did not receive a wave back. Lily expected them to recognize her.

Lily and her fellow students were warned not to talk about sensitive political issues. However, she becomes involved in a conversation about Taiwan not being safe anymore because the current American president doesn't care about the situation with Mainland China. Everyone taking part of the conversation felt that Taiwan would be invaded China. I have a different viewpoint though and am surprised that the kids didn't know how much commerce there is between Taiwan and China. I believe China is planning on assimilating the Taiwanese people into China through financial deals. When the finances of Taiwan are 100% linked to Mainland China they will have no fear about reunification. Going back to political subjects, Lily had a class called Thought and Society where the class discussed political issues every day.

The descriptions of the classes that Lily took will be of interest to students looking to expand their skills in Chinese. The author described the classes in detail as well showing how the professors teach their subjects. In one class Lily had to read an article on the 2015 Toilet Revolution in China. Xi Jinping led a campaign to upgrade public toilets. I googled toilet revolution and discovered that there was, in fact, a toilet revolution.

I enjoyed the book. Note, though, that I love Asian countries and love to read books written by authors all over Asia. I found the setting fascinating and cannot wait until I can travel to Taipei myself. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment