Saturday, August 24, 2024

Hard Eight

Hard Eight is the 8th book in the Stephanie Plum comedic mystery series. Author Janet Evanovich just published #31 so this is a lengthy series. In fact, Evanovich has stated that the series will never end. I selected this book for the Clock Reading Challenge. The Challenge Rules require a number from 1 through 12 to be in the title.

With this installment of the series Stephanie is  asked by her parents' next-door neighbor, Mabel Markowitz, to find her granddaughter, Evelyn and great-granddaughter, Annie, who have disappeared. During a messy divorce with her ex-husband, Steven Soter, Evelyn was forced to post a child custody bond, and Mabel used her house as collateral. If Evelyn is not found, then the bond company will foreclose on her house, and the money will be forfeited to Steven. Mabel asks for Stephanie's help, since as a bounty hunter she is the closest thing Mabel knows to aaa detective. Stephanie is unable to refuse, even though she is not a private investigator.

The plot was light on action but heavy on the comedy. I found it difficult to maintain interest in the story because there were so many funny statements. I prefer a tight mystery that has no fluff and Evanovich is all fluff. I am not sure whether I will read more of the series for the Clock Reading Challenge or not. I might go back to one of Luana Ehrlich's series. Neither of these authors excite me much but they're the only authors I have found with numbers in their titles.

2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment