Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Book of the Month: August

I selected The Wartime Book Club as my best book for August. Peach Tea Smash was a close second. The Wartime Book Club is a WWII era historical fiction story. While I don't usually read WWII fiction, the story is about those left behind on the Channel Island of Jersey. It did not have any military action. Another reason I liked the book is that the setting is new to me. I enjoyed reading about 
this setting.

The story was about how a community stuck together during the occupation of their island. While there were a few who turned in their neighbors to the Nazis in order to obtain additional food, most of the residents helped each other out as much as they could.

The story also showed the importance of books banned by the Nazis to the Jersey residents. The reader sees how Grace, the main character and a librarian, was able to deliver these books to residents without getting caught by the Nazi occupiers. Grace's heroism is the main theme of the plot. A secondary plot concerns her friend Bea. Bea made many mistakes and did not take care to hide what she was doing. She was impulsive and that got her into more than one fix. Friendship is another theme. 

I recommend The Wartime Book Club to historical fiction fans. It was a fantastic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment