Tuesday, April 4, 2023

The Flame Tree

The Flame Tree is the first book in a duology set in Hong Kong during WWII.  I was attracted to the book because of its beautiful cover and also because the setting was in China. I love reading asian fiction. However, this book was not as interesting to me as other asian fiction novels that I have read.

The publisher's summary:

In the spring of 1939, dashing young William Burton and the beautiful Constance Han set sail from London on the same ocean liner to Hong Kong. Romance blossoms while they enjoy games of deck quoits and spend sultry tropical evenings dancing under the stars. Connie is intrigued by Will’s talent for writing poetry, and she offers to give him Cantonese lessons to help him with his new job— a cadet in the colonial service.

But once in Hong Kong, Connie is constrained by filial duty towards her Eurasian parents, and their wish for her to marry someone from her own background. She can't forget Will however, and arranges to meet him in secret under the magnificent canopy of a flame of the forest tree— where she fulfills her promise to teach him to speak Chinese. Before too long, trouble looms as Japanese forces gather on the border between Hong Kong and mainland China. Will joins a commando group tasked with operating behind enemy lines, and Connie becomes involved in the fight against local fifth columnists.

When war breaks out, they find themselves drawn into a wider conflict than their battle against prejudice. Can they survive and achieve a future together? Or do forces beyond their control keep them forever apart?

The first half of the book was about Will and Connie's relationship. The second half was more war story with the author giving us a full account of the Japanese invasion of Hong Kong. I got bored reading about Will's military activities. When the plot returned to him and Connie, I became interested in the book again.  

The title of the book comes from the name of the tree under which Will and Connie would secretly meet in the botanical gardens. They were hidden from view when they sat under it which was important to Connie because her reputation would have been destroyed if people knew she was seeing a European man. Her marriage prospects would have taken a nose dive.  After a year of weekly secret meetings, Connie fell madly in love with Will and the relationship turned physical. She agreed to ask her father if they could marry, knowing he would day no. At this point, the Japanese invaded Hong Kong and the story switched from a romance to a war story.  

I enjoyed the Hong Kong setting. I felt that I was alongside Will as he experienced new places in the city. As he found delight in the culture,  I felt it too. Each restaurant and home that he visited was a new experience for him and I couldn't help but want to have that experience myself. 

I am not sure how to rate The Flame Tree. I only liked half of it but I am interested in reading part 2 of the duology, mainly to see what happens with Will and Connie.  I am giving it a 3 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I think I liked this one a bit better than you did. I really appreciate reading a book set in the Asian theatre of WWII

    Thank you for sharing your review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge

    ReplyDelete