Saturday, July 9, 2022

Stacking the Shelves #17

I just purchased a Kindle copy of Bill Rivers' Last Summer Boys. I needed to find a book title with a season in the title for the What's in a Name Challenge. It is a coming of age story about a boy from Appalachia during the summer of 1968. 

When thirteen-year-old Jack Elliot overhears the barbershop men grousing, he devises a secret plan to keep his oldest brother, Pete, from the draft. He believes that famous boys don’t go to war and that he’ll make his brother their small town’s biggest celebrity. Jack gets unexpected help when his book-smart cousin Frankie arrives in their rural Pennsylvania town for the summer. Together, they convince Jack’s brothers to lead an expedition to find a fighter jet that crashed many winters ago—the perfect adventure to make Pete a hero. But with a greedy developer determined to flood their valley, a beautiful girl occupying his middle brother’s attentions, a wild motorcycle gang causing trouble in town, and a disturbed neighbor setting fires, Jack realizes it isn’t just Pete who needs saving.

This isn't the usual type of book that I read but I am still looking forward to reading it.

8 comments:

  1. It's not one I would immediately go for myself but it sounds quite good!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/09/toddler-edition-stacking-the-shelves-library-loot/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that reading challenges nudge us into reading something outside our usual genres. I almost always participate in one or two a year, just for that purpose. This one sounds like it could be interesting. Visiting from Stacking the Shelves.
    here's me: https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite it not being your normal read, I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm this sounds interesting. Almost a stand By Me type vibe maybe, with the quest to find the plane... I hope you enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it’s good to step out of our comfort zone! I hope that you enjoy this book. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does sound interesting. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hope you enjoy your read!

    ReplyDelete