Monday, July 4, 2022

Star Spangled Murder

After beginning Star Spangled Murder, I thought I might have read it before. The first 50 pages sounded familiar. I searched for the book among my blog posts but didn't find it. Then I searched my Librarything account. Nothing there either. To further confuse me was the prologue titled Fourth of July Murder. I was convinced that I had read this book before. I even googled Leslie Meier's book list thinking that maybe this was a book that was retitled. It wasn't. I am guessing that having read 4 of Meier's books this year has left me numb. They all begin the same way and I can no longer differentiate between them.

Star Spangled Murder begins with Lucy Stone's dog Kudo killing her neighbor Prudence Pratt's chickens in their Tinker's Cove, Maine neighborhood. Kudo has a habit of getting out of the house and running wild through the neighborhood. The story then switches to a group of nudists who are skinny dipping in the pond that borders Pratt's property. In addition, the local lobstermen are upset about poachers and wonder whether Pratt's husband and son are guilty. Then next thing that happens is that the fourth of july fireworks are canceled by the town in order to protect purple spotted lichen, a rare species. A huge suspension of belief is necessary to follow this series but canceling fireworks to save the lichen is too far for me to go. Is one night of fireworks going to destroy the flora and fauna of Tinker's Cove? No. 

I was happy when I read that Mrs. Pratt had died. She is that always complaining, nosy neighbor that we all have had at some point in our lives. It didn't matter to me who killed her, just that someone did.  She is probably the best villain that the series has ever had. She wanted Kudo to be euthanized and even though she thought the nudists were immoral, she watched them sunbathe with her binoculars. 

A disappointing read. No rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment