Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Can't Wait Wednesday #16

The Can't Wait Wednesday meme has been hosted by the Wishful Endings blog for awhile. Here, we discuss the books that we haven't read yet. Later this month Janie Chang will be publishing her latest novel, The Porcelain Moon. The book takes place in France during WWI and I am anxiously awaiting it's publication on February 21, 2023.  

In 1918 a young Chinese woman, Pauline Deng, runs away from her uncle's home in Paris in order to evade an arranged marriage set up for her in Shanghai. Pauline's cousin Theo is helping her prevent the marriage. Theo is a translator for the Chinese Labour Corps in the French countryside. Another woman, Camille Roussel, is planning to leave her abusive husband. Camille offers Pauline a room for her to stay in and they become fast friends. However, Pauline soon discovers a perilous secret that Camille has been concealing. As both their situations escalate, they are forced to make an awful decision that will bind them together for the rest of their lives. The history that the author has built her story on is the historical fact that 140,000 Chinese workers were brought to Europe as non-combatant labor during WWI.  

I read the author's Library of Legends and loved it.  Here's hoping that The Porcelain Moon is just as entertaining.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting story. I had no idea so many Chinese workers were brought in as non-combatant labour during WWI.

    Here's my Waiting on Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover. I read waaaaay too much WW1 & WW2 over the last 2 years so I am steering clear of all that for a while, taking a much needed break. I hope you enjoy this one when you get a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two or three of this author's books on my TBR and I haven't read them yet. I really need to change that. This sounds so good too! I just know I would like her work.

    ReplyDelete