Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Can't Wait Wednesday #16

This is my first Can't Wait Wednesday post of 2023. There are two books which I want to showcase that I discovered last month from the Nonfiction Reader Challenge. The Bright Ages and The Light Ages are histories of the medieval era which is my favorite era in history. I am awaiting their arrival from Amazon.

The Light Ages is a history of medieval science. Author Seb Falk gives us this history through the eyes of a fourteenth century crusading astronomer monk, John of Westwyk. Westwyk was born in a rural manor, educated in a grand monastery and then exited to a clifftop priory. He navigated by the stars, cured diseases, and told time with an ancient astrolabe. During Westwyk's travels he encounters an English abbot with leprosy, a French craftsman and spy and a Persian polymath who founded the world's most advanced observatory.  The book kind of sounds similar to the travels of Marco Polo but with a scientific bent.


The Bright Ages is a new history of the medieval era.  I am not sure what is "new" but will soon find out. Advertised as a magisterial history, The Bright Ages captures this era from Europe to the Mediterranean, Asia and Africa. The publisher's summary of the book states that it will give the reader a fresh look on the Fall of Rome, Charlemagne, the Vikings, the Crusades, and the Black Death, but also to the multi-religious experience of Iberia, the rise of Byzantium, and the genius of Hildegard and the power of queens. The burning of heretics is also covered and I am interested in this because I have 6 direct ancestors who were burned at the stake for their religious beliefs. 2 of them were Roman Catholic and the others were Protestants.

2 comments:

  1. The Light Ages sounds right up my ally! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both sound very interesting! I would like to explore more history related nonfiction. I hope you enjoy these when you read them!

    ReplyDelete