Saturday, January 28, 2023

Book of the Month: January

I read alot of books this month thanks to a staycation so I had quite a few books to consider for my best of the month. Keeper of the Queen's Jewels is an obvious choice because its one of the only two books I rated 5 out of 5 stars. 
Keeper is Adrienne Dillard's most recent novel, which was published in 2022. It is about Jane Seymour and her lady in waiting Margery Horsman. Each chapter alternates between the points of view of Jane and Margery. Margery was one of the ladies in waiting for Anne Boleyn who stayed on at Henry VIII's behest after Anne's beheading. For some reason he kept on all of Anne's attendants. At first Margery handled the wardrobe but later became in charge of the jewelry. She was adept at picking out the right jewels for the right gown. She also had her own drama to deal with, not just Jane's.

I learned alot about Jane's political ability. Yes, she did have some ability. I was not aware that she was terrified of ending up like her predecessor but I probably should have known that she would be afraid. Any woman would mistrust Henry VIII considering how he disposed of two prior wives. The court attendants were likewise terrified of Henry, including Margery. Everyone tiptoed around him so as not to set off his temper.

I loved reading about the dresses that the ladies wore, and the jewels of course, as well as descriptions of the food offered at these lavish Tudor feasts. Keeper is a feast for the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment