Thursday, June 2, 2022

Father's Day Murder

I expected to be returning back to Tinker's Cove, Maine for the fourth time this year for my June selection in the Calendar of Crime Reading Challenge. However, this installment of the Lucy Stone series takes place in Boston. Here we have Lucy traveling to Boston for a newspaper conference the week before Father's Day. As would be expected in a cozy mystery, someone at the conference is murdered. This time it was the newspaperman of the year Luther Read. The suspected cause of death was a new one for the series, an asthma attack. Since I have asthma myself, I knew exactly where the story was going. Other new aspects to the plot were that Lucy did not have any conflicts with law enforcement officers investigating the murder and none of her family members or friends were suspects. It's always good to see a series author keep the writing fresh with changes in the writing formula but it can easily go bad. This was not the case with the Father's Day Murder. My only issue with the book was that Lucy's family life took up too many pages in the novel. They were not pertinent to the plot so why were they there? In the other cozy mysteries that I follow, character development is worked into the plot action. While many of Meier's readers prefer to read about Lucy's family, I am not one of them. 

3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment