Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Viral

Viral is Robin Cook's 38th medical thriller and it is my favorite from among all of his books. The ending was unexpected and extremely satisfying that I am tempted to begin rereading it ASAP.  

The main character, Brian Murphy, and his wife and child travel to Cape Cod for a two week vacation. When wife Emma begins to get flu-like symptoms, they cut their vacation short and return to New York City after one week. On the drive home, Emma begins to convulse. When the family reaches their local hospital Emma is given a room in the ICU area. She is diagnosed with eastern equine encephalitis, a/k/a EEE. It is a rare and highly lethal mosquito-borne viral disease that she probably caught during one of their barbeques on the coast. To make matters worse, Brian and Emma's daughter Juliette begins to exhibit alarming physical and behavioral symptoms too.  Emma's hospital stay is rather expensive. When Brian receives a $221,000 bill that his insurer refuses to pay, citing dubious clauses in their health insurance policy, he decides to get to the bottom of the hospital's predatory billing practices.  

My love of the story is based on my own experience with encephalitis when I was 8 years old and my 35 year history dealing with insurance companies after a catastrophic injury in a car accident. The author gives us the basics on encephalitis, the treatment and etiology of which has changed drastically since I had it 55 years ago. I ended up googling it and discovered even more information that was geared to my experiences over all these years.  Cook is known for writing the etiology of whatever disease he writes about in his books. It becomes part of the plot action. Naturally, I was drawn to this particular story.  

The writing was superb. The pace was super fast because Brian needed to save the lives of his wife and child. The reader doesn't know how things will turn out, just that there is a sense of urgency. Brian had to fight this battle on three fronts:  the disease, the insurer and the hospital. I believe this alone will connect with every reader. All Americans have been put through the ringer with medical matters. The ending was quite different from what we have seen from Cook in the past. I won't elaborate, but I loved it!

Another aspect to the plot is how asian mosquitos came to be located on the U. S. eastern coast. This mosquito has a distinct look: 2 white dots on its wings. Climate change is the reason that this type of mosquito traveled from the tropics, where it is normally located, to the eastern coast of the United States. Later on in the story, the reader sees that this particular mosquito is somewhere else on the planet. I don't want to be a spoiler so I will leave it at that.

The hospital setting was where much of the action took place. Cook shows us what we are all familiar with: hours long waits in the emergency room, seemingly uncaring staff, and, of course, the nasty billing department who call you nonstop trying to collect. The plot goes into hospital billing practices that I was not aware of. It has made me determined to check my bills in the future now that I know how this system works.

I thought the characters were sympathetic.  We don't know much about Emma because she becomes ill early in the story. Daughter Juliette is four-years-old and cries constantly. She is catered to quite a bit. I can certainly feel for Brian. Having been through his circumstances more than once in my life, I felt his pain. His emotions ran high throughout the entire story. Although Brian is a problem solver by nature, he just cannot penetrate the medical system to resolve his issues. His line of thinking is insightful for anyone new to this experience. There are 4 other characters of note. His mother, mother-in-law, business assistant and a new friend named Jeanne all help him steer through the mess that healthcare is today. Jeanne, in particular, becomes a major part of the story. She is a child psychologist who lost her husband a year ago via the same situation that Brian now finds himself in.

Viral will make you read your insurance policy and search for medical billing advocates.  I loved it and rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment