Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Cool Japan Guide


I picked up this graphic novel guide to Japan last month because I will be traveling there in March. It is, as the title suggests, very cool. When you first open the book you are introduced to our guides, Abby Denton and her husband Matt. In each chapter they offer some Japanese words that would be helpful to know, as well as information on hotels, food, Japan apps, festivals, night spots, touristy places, other travel resources and they explain the bath and toilet differences between Japan and the U. S. Unless you see a sign that says "western toilet," you will either get a squatting toilet or a fancy one that cleans and dries too. As the book's back blurb states, this is the first travel guide to be written from a cartoonist's perspective. 

The book looks like a children's comic, but it isn't that at all. I found it easy to read and insightful.  Because of the comic strip format, I will most likely remember many of the tips that are shared inside its pages. Another reason that I liked the large format for the comic strips is that my middle aged eyesight needs bigger drawings and dialogue boxes in order to read comfortably.  I have often picked up the book to dream about what I can do during my travels. The answers to my ongoing questions about my trip are easily found within its pages and I just love this guidebook.

5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment