Saturday, September 1, 2018

The Essex Serpent

This is the first book by Sarah Perry that I have read. It is her second novel, a work of historical fiction set in London and Essex in 1893.

After Cora Seaborne's uncaring husband dies, she abandons her society life in London and takes a trip to Colchester and the coastal town of Essex with her 11 year old son and his nanny where she is free to pursue her personal interests in the natural sciences. She continues to see her former husband's physician who she initially feels affection for, affection that is returned. Here she first hears about the 300 year old legend of the Essex Serpent who has recently been seen roaming the local waterways. The serpent has been rumored by local residents to have killed a man. In Essex Cora meets the Reverend William Ransome and his wife Stella and becomes a friend of the family.

I read a positive review of this book last year but what made me pick this book up at the library is its gorgeous cover. We don't often see beautiful covers like this so I want to point out that it was designed by Peter Dyer using images from iStock and William Morris. Dyer is a graphic artist in London who has designed many book covers in his illustrious career.

I don't usually read straight historical fiction as I prefer historical mysteries. Historical fiction reads a little slow for me. However, I felt this book was even slower than normal for historical fiction. I was engaged in the plot during the first half of the book but completely lost interest at the halfway mark.  While I continued reading I was bored. There was very little plot movement or character development. I couldn't wait for the book to end and skipped some of the last 100 pages.

This book was disappointing. That old saying that you can't judge a book by its cover applies here.

No comments:

Post a Comment