Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Book of the Month: April

My favorite book for the month of April is Kid Gloves by Lucy Knisley. Kid Gloves is a graphic novel detailing the author's attempts to get pregnant and carry a child to full term.

I am surprised that for 2 months in a row my favorite book was a graphic novel. It just shows how good these adult graphic novels can be. Kid Gloves is Knisley's most serious novel to date. It is autobiographical and while I am not maternal in any sense, I felt Knisley's emotions throughout her experience, from miscarriage through miscarriage to a full pregnancy and a delivery that almost killed her.  She showed emotion on every page with her drawings and while she used bright colors I think she was being optimistic by using them.

I enjoyed the book enough to buy it after taking it out of the library. I cannot recommend it to you more highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment