Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Story of a Sociopath

Julia Navarro wrote one gripping story in her 2016 psychological thriller Story of a Sociopath.  The book is a character study of sociopath Thomas Spencer, a fictional character. The author writes about events in Thomas' life that took him down a wrong path, beginning when he was a boy, and then in italics she writes a section about what he would have done if he had not been a sociopath.  All of this is written from Thomas' viewpoint, first person.  This is a chunky book with 864 pages.

In the prologue Thomas Spencer muses over his life as he mulls his impending death.  He admits "I am scum...I was born without a conscience, or at least I never knew where to find one, but perhaps one will knock on my door tonight."

Thomas was the black sheep of his family, a wealthy family in the upper echelons of New York society.  He disliked every member of his family and each of them responded by showering love on him because they could not understand why he was different.  He had all the advantages that wealth can give a person including education and the need to not even work if he chose not to.

However, as the oldest son in the family he was expected to follow in his father and grandfather's footsteps and become a lawyer in their law firm. He could not do that for 2 reasons.  One, he despised them and wanted to hurt them and two, he floundered in school.

Thomas ended up at an unheard of advertising school run by a former ad executive who fell from grace.  This educational credential was not expected to help any graduate in the job market but Thomas made it work by moving to London.  There he gave up life of privilege and over a lifetime forced his way to the top working in media for politicians.

It has been a long time since I have been truly interested in reading a novel.  This book gripped me from the first page and kept me reading.  The author, Julia Navarro, is a favorite of mine but I have struggled getting through the books of my old favorite authors.  Perhaps I am simply not interested in the political, spy and treasure hunt mystery subgenres that I have traditionally read and Ms. Navarro wrote a few great mysteries that I enjoyed.  Story of a Sociopath is a different type of novel for both her and me and I loved it.

Nasty characters are fun to read about and Thomas Spencer delivers here.  There are many dark plot twists as you would expect with a character study on a sociopath as well as with someone involved in political campaign management. Thomas accidentally stumbled into this career but he got lucky because it perfectly fit his personality.

This was a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment